Food Diary - Oak Bistro, Cambridge

During my visit in Cambridge, we ate at the Oak Bistro twice. It was highly recommended by a long-time Cambridge resident. And well, I guess you can't really go wrong with a place that's been awarded the Best Restaurant in the 2014 Food & Drink Awards.

Potato gnocchi in a rich oxtail tomato ragu and parmesan (£7.95)

The first time, Hubby took me there for dinner. Yes, it lives up to its reputation. No complaints about the hearty portions.

Confit duck leg, braised red cabbage, mashed potato and rosemary jus (£14.65)

For that first visit, I had the confit duck leg. No complaints about the duck leg confit - crispy skin, moist meat. Okay, the mash could be a little creamier, but then I shouldn't be complaining just because I want more butter in it. I've developed a whole new appreciation for red cabbage.

For dessert, I had the coconut pannacotta and cognac-flambeed prunes. Didn't get a decent photo of it. It was delicious.

So on my last day in Cambridge, Hubby had no place planned for food, and asked me where I wanted to go. And I said the Oak Bistro.

Pan-fried scallops with celeriac puree and lime dressing

Honestly, it's good food and generous portions, value for money (by British standards).

Char-grilled ribeye steak with truffle butter, French fries, salad
Cod fillet with mashed potato, lightly spiced Puy lentils, lemon oil

Definitely recommending this place to friends visiting Cambridge.

Comments