Food Diary - Gyu-An, Tokyo

In our summer trip to Kamikochi, we also managed to eat at Gyu-an (牛庵), another Tokyo restaurant we aimed to try (but failed to) in a previous trip. We went twice during this trip.

Kobe beef sirloin, Gyu-An Ginza, Tokyo

Our first dinner at Gyu-an, we had the Kobe steak set - which consists of appetisers, beef steak, and dessert.

Amuse bouche, Gyu-An, Ginza, Tokyo

Appetiser of cod fish with lemon and salad greens, Gyu-An Ginza, Tokyo

Beef sushi, Gyu-an Ginza, Tokyo

For my appetiser, I chose the beef sushi, which was delicious. The sushi rice was at body temperature, nicely seasoned, each fluffy grain just holding together and disintegrating in the mouth... the thinly sliced Kobe beef easily tearing apart as I chew... yum!

Kobe beef tenderloin, Gyu-An, Tokyo

For our steaks, Hubby picked the sirloin, and I picked the tenderloin. They came sizzling on a bed of sliced onions and capsicum, the aroma of beef roasting enveloping my senses, exciting my appetite.

I confess that a slab of Kobe beef steak can be a little overwhelming for me, because it is just so rich and fatty. But oh boy did I enjoy every bite.

Dessert (matcha and raspberry ice cream), coffee and tea, Gyu-An Ginza, Tokyo

We finish up with tea/coffee, and ice cream - raspberry for Hubby, and matcha for me. I'm glad it was a nice, icy-cold scoop of ice cream. I think after that steak, it's hard to eat any other kind of dessert.

On our last night in Tokyo, we also returned to Gyu-an for dinner - this time for the sukiyaki set.

Kobe beef sukiyaki at Gyu-An Ginza, Tokyo
Sukiyaki at Gyu-An Ginza, Tokyo

Unlike Mishima-Tei in Kyoto (Kansai-style), sukiyaki at Gyu-An is done in the Kanto-style. The sauce is first poured into the shallow pot, before the meat and ingredients are added.

Kobe beef sukiyaki at Gyu-An, Ginza

The sukiyaki is rather on the salty side, but I think it's by virtue of the way the meat is cooked, in the sauce. But the meat just melts in the mouth, so gently. And the vegetables make a great texture contrast.

Comments