Studio Yotsuba Kimono & Yukata Project #1

Totally forgot I was going to post about the test pieces from my Kimono & Yukata Project

Have not taken good photos of the girls decked in the test pieces but here are the few I did take on my iPhone and posted on Instagram some time ago.


This was test piece #1, an o-furisode (大振袖) made with a lovely soft cotton fabric I bought from fabricmade, one of my favourite fabric vendors on etsy.

Was overall pleased with this test piece, but the sleeves' overall length was a bit too long and the width too narrow. Modified that.


This was test piece #2, another o-furisode, sleeve length and width modified. Made it with a moegi-green cotton with (what looks like) pink nadeshiko (撫子) blossoms. This fabric was originally a souvenir handkerchief I bought at the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo.

Plain cream-coloured cotton was used for the sleeve lining and hem lining. (The lining is not strictly like the ones on human-sized kimono...)


Made a handful more test pieces... One in a pink asanoha (麻の葉) cotton, another in a brown cotton with a white rice grain pattern and another in a bright pink one with rainbow ice-cream print.


So far, my favourite test pieces are the two o-furisode with the watercolour-like pink blossoms that look like hydrangeas.

Also have to get round to making the obi and obiage. I feel rather ambitious about the obi though. I don't want to stick with making just the usual taiko knot and ribbon knot.

Comments