Food Diary - Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, revisited

On another trip to London, Hubby and I had lunch at Dinner by Heston. We enjoyed our first time so much, that we penned down another lunch in the London schedule.

Savoury Porridge (c.1660), frog's legs, girolles, garlic and fennel

Hubby was adventurous and had the Savoury Porridge (frog legs! eeeks!). I had a bit of the porridge, which was a vivid jewel green. According to the menu, Savoury Porridge originated from a 1660 cookbook called The Whole Body of Cookery Dissected by William Rabisha.


It was tempting to have the Meat Fruit again, but I thought perhaps I'd try something else, and had the Roast Marrowbone (c.1720). Dinner's menu credits the source of Roast Marrowbone as The Cook's and Confectioner's Dictionary by John Nott (1720).

Crispy little nuggets mixed with anchovy and mace, topped with succulent snails and parsley, and the richness well-balanced by the sweet and sour of the pickled vegetables (baby turnips, baby radishes, lettuce hearts, and cauliflower florets). A play of flavours and textures in the mouth. Enough to make me forget I was eating snails.

Spiced Pigeon (c. 1780), ale and artichokes

Hubby had the Spiced Pigeon for his main - a dish that originated from The Ladies' Assistant and Complete System of Cookery by Charlotte Mason (1780).

Spiced pigeon (c. 1780), ale and artichokes

Personally, I'm not a fan of pigeon. Had it once in Yellow Bistro in Sydney, and did not take to it. Hubby doesn't like artichokes, so I got them (haha, I love artichokes).

Powdered duck breast (c. 1670), smoked confit fennel and umbles

One of the reasons why I love Dinner by Heston is his use of textures and flavours in one dish. The previous trip, I went with the waiter's recommendation (Cod in Cider). This time, I ordered the Powdered Duck. I didn't know what to expect actually. Dinner explains that the dish originates from The Queen Like Closet or Rich Cabinet by Hannah Woolley (1670).

So I enjoyed it, especially the textures of the fennel, duck and umbles. How would I describe it? Like the many shades of succulence. (At the time, I hadn't realised that "umbles" referred to certain innards.)

Sambocade (c. 1390), goats milk cheese cake, elderflower and apple, poached pear and smoked candied walnuts

Hubby had the Chocolate Bar, as he did the last time. I like to try different things, and chose the Sambocade - which comes from a 1390 cookbook titled The Forme of Cury The Master Cooks of King Richard II.

It was creamy, smooth and light - a silver of elderflower and apple jam hidden down the middle. I've never really liked cheesecake but the Sambocade has converted me! (Well, okay, maybe not all cheesecakes; I did enjoy the New York cheesecake at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.)


Stuffed as we were, we couldn't resist the NITROGEN ICE CREAM!

At the bottom of the cone is fruit compote (apple I think) - the ice cream was vanilla, super smooth and velvety, and 2 toppings of choice.

Hubby chose the popping candy and chocolate; I chose the popping candy and freeze-dried raspberries.

Comments