Empire-line Dress 1.0


I recently devoted some free time to making an empire-line dress pattern, by modifying some basic patterns and shaping the paper cutouts on a Blythe body. The latter really helped me with adding the darts!

Second Mock-up
Tested the pattern by making a mock-up. (On this, Tilly and the Buttons has great advice.) It seems muslin or a cheap fabric is usually used for the mock-up. I didn't have any, so I used a sheer cotton (white). I don't remember if it was cheap - all I remember is I bought it a couple of years ago from the scrap/leftover bin at Spotlight and, if I remember correctly, it's either lawn or voile. 

Anyway, after the first mock-up, it was back to the drawing table for the bodice. I made a second mock-up in which, I confess, I re-used the skirt from the first mock-up.

Liked the look of the second mock-up, especially in that sheer cotton. So I re-stitched it properly with matching thread, washed and pressed it. My lovely Ella (by Floriana of Almond Doll) is modelling it.

Perhaps I should name the dress pattern "Joséphine" after Joséphine de Beauharnais, Napoléon Bonaparte's wife. After all, it was she who popularised the empire silhouette in women's fashion...

Now I'm thinking... There's a whole bunch of other beautiful cottons and chiffons that'll look great with this pattern! More projects populate the list.....

Comments