The nani IRO 2018 is really inspiring!

Latest stash from the nani IRO 2018 season: "RIPPLE A" double gauze", "Fuccra : rakuen I" double gauze, "RIPPLE A" linen, "Situation A" double gauze, "Mercy B" double gauze, "Mercy B" cotton sateen, "Fuccra : rakuen H" double gauze, "Planet A" double gauze.

Recently unpacked the nani IRO fabric that I bought from our recent CNY escapade trip to Japan (post pending). Actually, the Atelier in Osaka was not in our original plans at all. But on 2 Feb, when I saw the nani IRO 2018 season on Instagram (here), something just clicked. I think my brain just abandoned all logic. I knew I just had to get my hands on some as soon as possible. And so we included a shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Osaka. Just for me to buy fabric. (⁄⁄⁄ ̄▽ ̄⁄⁄⁄)ゞ

Yeah I knew I could get them online from the websites I look up, like Nekoneko and of course Miss Matatabi. And I considered ordering on the nani IRO website itself and getting it delivered to our Tokyo hotel or Hida ryokan. Not sure why I didn't in the end; timing I think. Still, I like the whole experience of going to Atelier to nani IRO, looking at and touching the fabric up close, the  colours, patterns, textures, drape. Especially the colours and patterns. Must add the 2 Japanese ladies on staff that day were really sweet and helpful. And they giggled when they noticed that I couldn't make up my mind on how many metres to get.

Oh, how I regret not getting the pattern book!!! (T^T) [December 2018 update: Got it! No more regrets.]

A post shared by Yotsuba & Clan (@yotsub4) on

Despite original intentions, I ended up being rather conservative and only got 8 patterns. Even then the fabric filled up most of my hand-carry. My nani IRO fabric stash has a lot of blue because I've a predilection for certain shades of blue...and the blues in Ito-san's latest season are gorgeous! I ADORE the blue of the "Mercy B" double gauze.... It now ranks a close 2nd to the "Fuccra : rakuen カウアイ" on my favourites list. Actually, the colours of nani IRO fabric are always beautiful and wonderful. But I do hope that some day she'll include a wider range of greens into her designs....

There are several new designs in Ito-san's latest nani IRO season. It feels as if she was very inspired when she designed them. Her latest season gives off a lot of wonderful, positive energy. And I feel very inspired just looking at the beautiful patterns and sumptuous colours. I've set aside out the "Fuccra : rakuen I" — which I only bought a pre-cut 1m piece (now, regrettably) — and am thinking of turning it into something similar to the gathered pullover I previously made, only this time with the flutter sleeves. Have an eye on the "Situation A" one for a cap-sleeved cheongsam with matching royal blue piping. Maybe a simple A-line dress for the "RIPPLE A" double gauze, to show off the wonderful pastel pink and green ombré... Pity that there was only 1.4m of the "RIPPLE A" left on the bolt at the shop. A slightly more fitted and complicated one-piece dress for the "Mercy B" cotton sateen... Oh the "Mercy B" double gauze would be wonderful for a little girl's dress...

Okay. Stop. Am getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of myself. Haven't even started on some of the ideas that I had for the previous fabric stash yet!

Care instructions

Also got a whole bunch of pamphlets on the 2018 season, and a little care instructions leaflet. Not sure if I got it the previous trip to the Atelier (in Dec 2017 which I have yet to post the pics of). If I did, I think I threw it out without a second glance. Anyway, the little leaflet says:

Washing and preservation method
- It is recommended to wash before sewing
- Since the colours may run, please do not wash the dark coloured items with the light coloured items
- Please avoid using bleach and fluorescent whitening detergents
- Avoid leaving in a wet state for a long period of time
- Please avoid dry cleaning if there is lamé print (glitter)
- There is a concern that during laundry, partial peel-off/detachment may sticking parts may peel off and stick to other laundry items, so it is recommended to wash the item alone by hand washing or on delicate cycle

Mostly basic laundry care instructions, really. However, I confess that there was a time when I didn't really bother to pre-wash my cotton fabrics before sewing them up. Not a huge problem with nani IRO double gauze, which I found has negligible shrinkage. Or for most cottons. But...I learnt through one lesson that it's better safe than sorry!

Comments