[Free Pattern] Crochet Jiaozi (Shui Jiao) Dumplings Amigurumi・钩针编织水餃

This week's weather has been a little weird, with white-hot or grey cloudy afternoons, and sudden thundery showers. When it gets grey or rainy, I start longing for something piping hot, soupy, savoury, and feels like I'm being enveloped by a warm, fluffy blanket. A steaming bowl of broth filled with jiaozi餃子 would be just the thing!

Early in my crochet journey, I made crochet dumplings as practice, using this free dumpling amigurumi pattern by Genuine Mudpie. But as my crochet journey continued, I started experimenting and made my own changes (below). And so here they are! These are not much different, except I made the edge ruffled, instead of scalloped.

Crochet shui jiao dumplings for a rainy afternoon (IG).

Dumplings exist in every cuisine and every culture, and are as ancient as they come. Here in Singapore, we love and enjoy a variety of dumplings from the cuisines of our main ethnic groups, as well as from other cuisines that have become popular over the course of time (historical or present day).

Today, it's shui jiao, boiled Chinese dumplings. Be it jiao zi餃子, shui jiao水餃, guo tie鍋貼, gyoza, potstickers or whatever other type, form or filling, jiao zi are delicious comfort food. They are also traditional festive foods, traditionally made and eaten during festive occasions like Chinese New Year, or during family reunion meals. Jiao zi have been part of our local food heritage and culture for a long time, having been introduced by Chinese traders and settlers who came here in the past.

I wish this bowl of shui jiao dumplings were real ones and I could eat them (IG).

Now my craving for a steamy bowl of dumplings has intensified. Oh no!

Crochet shui jiao dumplings (IG).


SHUI JIAO, BOILED CHINESE DUMPLING AMIGURUMI CROCHET PATTERN

These are the modifications I made to the free dumpling amigurumi pattern by Genuine Mudpie. Her pattern is beginner-friendly and easy to make. I made some small modifications to the original pattern to try and create more ruffles, among others. These amigurumi dumplings are really resemble their real life counterparts. This shape is what we call the half moon shape, and is the simplest method to fold dumplings. Dumplings in this shape are typically boiled and eaten as is or served in a soup.

Materials & Tools:

• Yarn - white
• 2.5mm and 3mm crochet hooks
• Stuffing
• Stitch markers
• Scissors
• Yarn needle
• Safety eyes, embroidery thread (optional)

For this amigurumi, I used Sirdar Cotton DK No.502 Vanilla.

Abbreviations (US terms):

R : round / row (as the case may be)
MR : magic ring
ch : chain
st(s) : stitch(es)
sl st : slip stitch
sc : single crochet
dc : double crochet
inc : increase (2 sc in same st)
(...) : a set of pattern instructions
[...] : total number of sts in the round/row

Finished Size:

Approx. 7.5cm long × 3.5〜4cm wide

DUMPLING

Using white yarn, work in rounds,
R1. 6 sc in MR. [6]
R2. 6 inc. [12]
R3. (1 sc, inc) 6 times. [18]
R4. (2 sc, inc) 6 times. [24]
R5. (3 sc, inc) 6 times. [30]
R6. (2 sc, inc, 2 sc) 6 times. [36]
R7. (5 sc, inc) 6 times. [42]
R8. Fold the piece in half, ch 1 and sc the edges together. Stuff before closing the work completely. [24]
R9. Turn, and using a 2.5mm hook, ch 2 and 1 dc in the first st, 3 dc in the next st and repeat for the next 21 sts, 2 dc in the last st. [70]
Fasten off and hide the end inside the work.

* * *

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you have fun making these dumplings. As with all my other patterns, I would love to see how your finished items turned out, so please tag me with my Instagram handle @yotsuba_blythes.

The pattern and images herein are not for commercial use, sale or distribution without the express permission of their respective owners. If you wish to share the pattern and my modifications, please link to the original by Genuine Mudpie and this post. Thank you.

Comments