Crochet Cupcakes

These crochet cupcakes have been play food for my niece and nephews for several months now. I'm surprised that the yarn has held up well, as the kids have been pretty careless and rough with their play.

My niece Claire is in this all-things-sweet-and-girly phase, and is fascinated with pretty pinks and purples, pretty flowers, rainbows and unicorns. Not hard to guess which of these cupcakes are her favourites. My nephews Jude and Chris are much simpler, and just like playing with squishy objects.

Crochet cupcakes for the kids! (The domed stand is hand painted and etched blown glass by Japanese glass artist Nishiyama Yuki.)

These crochet cupcakes were made using a modified version of the Swirly Cupcake hair clip pattern by Twinkie Chan. The swirls were recycled from the choux cream amigurumi which I made as an experiment last year. For that project, I incorporated the swirl frosting from Twinkie Chan's pattern with the choux Ispahan pattern by So Croch' from last year's Amigurumi Bake Off Week 5. Frogged those choux cream amigurumi and reused the swirl frosting and yarn for these crochet cupcakes.

Comments