Crochet Brain (KnotMonster)

Finally got around to completing the crochet brain I started in May last year. This is not my usual subject matter. Nor is it something I gravitate towards, normally. But my girl bestie (you know who you are) adores stuff like this. And I mean, ADORES... Skulls, brains, eye balls, body parts.... It was originally intended to be an accompaniment to her birthday present last year, which was a realistic looking skull tidy from Planet Collection. I already gifted the skull but not the brain...which took me over a year to complete. Not because it was difficult (it isn't), but because I kept pushing it back to prioritise other projects.

The crochet pattern I based this on is the crochet brain pattern in the Organs Edition ebook by Michael Cao of KnotMonsters (IG: @knotmonster). However, I didn't faithfully follow the pattern and made some modifications with the intention of fitting it into the skull tidy.

Crochet brain, based on pattern by KnotMonster (on IG)

Besides making the base bigger, I made a continuous tube of 6sc rounds for the brain folds, instead of long chains of sc stitches. After making about 100 rounds, I started to attach the tube to the base, and then continued crocheting as I went. At some point, I just stopped counting the number of rounds. Although I tried to recreate some semblance of the cerebral hemisphere, it's far from accurate or close since I also didn't recreate the lobes, cerebellum or stem. But it was never the intention to crochet a realistic one anyway.

The pattern is really easy to make, though assembly was pretty tedious because of all the folds to be done. I may have made it more tedious for myself by using a continuous tube instead of the chain of sc stitches in the original pattern.

So I gifted it to my friend last week and she loved it. We both found it pretty nice to squeeze, much like a textured stress ball but much softer!


Materials & Tools:


(This post was edited on 3 December 2022, 11:50pm.)

Comments