From Iceland With Love — Lopi Yarn!
Recently got back from a trip in Iceland. Didn't plan on getting any souvenirs but I chanced on some hand dyed lopi yarn at the last stop of our all-around Iceland road trip. We were staying in Arnarstapi, a fishing village in the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Before heading to the southern coast of Snæfellsjökull National Park, we'd stopped for lunch at a local place, Samkomuhúsið, and I came across a box of brightly coloured lopi yarn, hand dyed by a local, Rakel Ósk Gunnarsdóttir of @Rakel_Knits.
I intended to get only 2 or 3 balls, but ended up getting 5 (ᵕ—ᴗ—) ... 4 balls of worsted weight and 1 ball of unspun yarn, which in Icelandic are called léttlopí and plötulopi respectively. Of course, these lopi yarns not going to remain untouched in my yarn stash, as I plan to make some small things / accessories with them. I've some firm ideas but will also go where these yarns take me. But more on this another time.
It felt satisfying to bring home something authentically Icelandic. Lopi yarn is made from Icelandic sheep wool, and Icelandic sheep are integral to Iceland's culture, as well as an everyday part of Iceland's summer landscape. Iceland also has a long tradition of wool working and knitting. So, I think lopi is the perfect souvenir from Iceland for anyone who crochets, knits or anyone who simply loves yarn.
![]() |
| Icelandic lopi yarn, léttlopí hand dyed by Rakel Ósk Gunnarsdóttir/@Rakel_Knits (IG) |
At first, I wasn't used to the coarse and airy texture of the yarn, having mostly worked with cotton, blended fibres, and softer wool yarns. It appears that this distinctive texture is due to the wool's unique dual coat — a coarse, water-repellant outer coat (tog), and a soft, insulating undercoat (þel). It is also the reason Icelandic sheep wool is prized for being lightweight, breathable, with superior insulation even when wet. Lopi yarn is particularly famous for making lopapeysa — the Icelandic sweater that is famously light, warm and weather-proof.
Icelandic sheep are an ancient breed, having descended from the Northern European short-tailed sheep brought by Norse settlers when they settled in Iceland around 874 AD. Over time, the sheep developed into a distinct breed due to the Iceland's isolated geography and harsh climate, and are among the purest sheep breeds in the world.
Icelandic sheep are also the centre of one of Iceland's oldest traditions, Réttir. In late spring to early autumn, most Icelandic sheep roam freely in the open country. In September and October, farmers and local volunteers herd the sheep back down from the open range, a tradition known as Réttir. The autumn shearing takes place in October to November, when the sheep are in their winter sheds. Then, in February to April, the spring shearing takes place before the sheep are again released into the open country. After shearing, the fleece is mostly washed and spun in Iceland too.
So, I know I didn't have to go all the way around Iceland and to Arnarstapi to find lopi yarn, when I could've easily done so in Reykjavik. But as I said, getting souvenirs, especially yarn, was not on the list of things planned for Iceland. And really, we had a looooot of ground to cover in 10 days. But in hindsight, I feel a slight sting of regret that I didn't squeeze in a yarn shop or two while in Reykjavik.
![]() |
| Lóndrangar, Snæfellsnes peninsula, Iceland |


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you, and I believe it is important to have a respectful and open-minded environment in which to express our views. Different views are welcome; abuse, hate speech and cyberbullying are not. Freedom of speech does not justify the unacceptable.