Blythe Carnival Singapore 2017 (18 Nov 2017)

Nyanko-sensei at BCSG 2017 (IG)
Following up on my short post (which I've since removed) about Blythe Carnival Singapore 2017 (BCSG 2017) with this detailed post.

First and foremost, kudos and a big thank-you to the BCSG organising committee for putting together the event. The committee members worked really hard, had very little sleep, and did their best to overcome the challenges they faced over the course of the year, since BCSG was first announced. 私は感動します。c(>ω<)ゞ

BCSG 2017 is my first Blythe convention. Although I've been collecting for almost 5 years, I've not been to a Blythe convention because of schedules and other constraints. In any case, my first Blythe convention is one that conveniently takes place in my hometown.

It's definitely quite an interesting experience for me. Maybe a little different from just being an attendee because I also got to help out at a vendor's stand. So, I enjoyed the event, met some wonderful and friendly fellow Blythens. And while I am happy with my haul, I do have a teensy bit of post-event regret over missing out on a few things.

For one, I'm wincing at these 'meh' pictures that I took with my iPhone. Rather hasty and a little careless. Oops. My main priorities did not involve taking pictures, so I didn't bring the camera. Am totally regretting it now because the dioramas and the Best Dressed display deserved more attention than I gave them. I also sometimes have tunnel vision when I shop, zeroing in on what I have set my eyes on, and forgetting to cast an eye on the other items available. Like I mentioned, Hubby is a seasoned collector and convention attendee (though not of Blythe). Throughout the event he persistently asked me "Are you sure you're done?", and didn't stop asking/prompting until the event was over. When I commented on Sunday about having a bit of regret, he said I deserved an F score for my convention attendee skills.(;へ;) Gimme a break, this one's my first time!

BCSG 2017, flower bomb! (IG)

The venue for BCSG was the YWCA Fort Canning Lodge on Fort Canning Hill. The main event was at the main ballroom, while the dioramas, stock dolls exhibition, and the workshops were in other nearby rooms. The ballroom entrance was flower bombed with bright roses and butterflies. This setup was actually done the night before BCSG, by some committee members, as well as some friends who volunteered to help. The committee sourced the flowers and the butterflies, and made the bunting. Sheena (Caramelaw) was the artistic hand that arranged the flowers at the entrance, while the flowers and butterflies on the stage inside the ballroom were the handiwork of other committee members and volunteers.

BCSG 2017 (IG)

I was a little late going around taking pictures of the individual vendor stands, so some of the really popular vendors had already sold quite a lot of their stock. I didn't take a photo of Trio for Blythes' stand up-close because Laurinda sold out within 14 to 20 minutes of opening! (One BCSG committee member said 14 minutes, Laurinda's partner said 20 minutes.) I myself had barely enough time to squeeze in and grab a couple of items. I was really lucky to get there in time to grab 1 dress and 1 flower bomb headband! Not my No. 1 preference, but in my preferred choice of colour. YEEEEES, SCORE! (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و I was uber tempted to get another flower bomb headband (in yellow) and a dress set, but decided not to be greedy.

A post shared by Sheena Aw (@caramelaw) on

Next to Trio for Blythe was Caramelaw. Within the first hour, all of Sheena's custom dolls sold out, and at least half of her felted headbands were sold. Super happy for her! This being her first time as a vendor at a Blythe convention.

Ellie Moe, BCSG 2017

On the other side of Caramelaw was Mandy of Ellie Moe from Australia. Lots of colourful knitted helmets and dresses!

Jodie Dolls, BCSG 2017

In the same row was Jodie Dolls! She had a lovely 2-storey shop diorama, with her custom Blythes, and a stash of doll carriers. Jodie Dolls is on my custom doll wish list, and I was sorely tempted.... But did not adopt one in the end. I mean, I already blew my AY2017 doll budget, including the PJ Dolls custom adopted at BCSG (below).

Meecat Studio, BCSG 2017

Anyway. Moving along...(before I suffer more post-event regret), the other vendors in the next row were Meecat Studio, DollyJane, Caramelody and Lovely Ravely. Did not pay enough attention at this row, and am suffering some post-event regret. 。゚・(>﹏<)・゚。

PJ Dolls was opposite Meecat Studio. Okay. She was probably the 2nd vendor I hit, after Trio. Either that or the 4th (after Trio, Little Amelie and Rabbit Home Dolls). Can't remember; it's now all a frenzied blur....

PJ Dolls, BCSG 2017

I was eyeing Milky, whom I had spied on PJ's Instagram post in advance. Was actually tossing up between Cry Baby (first on top row) and Milky. But the decision was made for me when the lady to my left told PJ that she wanted Cry Baby. So, I quickly asked for Milky. Immediately afterwards, the lady on my right let out a big sigh, and said, "Oh no! I couldn't decide on Cry Baby or Milky, and now they're both taken!" Oops. Towards the end of the event, I noticed that save Hanah, all PJ's dolls sold out!

Poonchaya, BCSG 2017

Dropped by Poonchaya's stand, and got a monster helmet and a cactus helmet, and a pastel smocked dress and beret set by Bellika Boutique. Her items were really reasonably priced and so well made. (Well, relative to everything else.)

Little Amelie, BCSG 2017

Got 2 embroidered Mexican dresses at Little Amelie. Been eyeing them since I saw her Instagram post. Missed out on her other outfits though; they sold out fairly quick.

Little Dolls Room, BCSG 2017
Rabbit Home Dolls, BCSG 2017

Okay, I totally regret not paying more attention at Little Dolls Room's stand. My eyes were so drawn to his diorama. Next door was Rabbit Home Dolls. Bought the embroidered dresses from there. One white cotton one with a little garden embroidered at the hem, and the other was a dusky rose with little roses and a beautifully gradient-dyed silk ribbon. Love how she incorporates embroidery with ribbons, chiffon and hand-dyeing colours into her dresses.

Momolita, BCSG 2017

When I got to Momolita, Komori-san didn't have many items left. But luckily for me, there were still some of her reversible jackets and lace dresses left. Got one of each! In between fan-girling over Momolita.... Haha...

Miss Blythe, BCSG 2017
Midsummer Circus, BCSG 2017

Okay, I didn't take pictures of all the vendor stands, and missed out on quite a few...including KBabyDolls, G.Baby Dolls and Kratai Craft. I know. How could I?!?!?! (;¬_¬) I am still kicking myself. 。・゚゚・(" ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )・゚゚・。

A post shared by Gina Soriano (@gbabydolls) on

Totally missed checking out on G.Baby's custom doll, Petal, wearing her special BCSG dress made by Laurinda (Trio for Blythe). The flowers on her tulle skirt look like orchids! Absolutely gorgeous. Loved the picture that Gina took of Petal with the Sultan Mosque in the background. She looks like she is going to some fancy ball at some fairy tale castle.

After going around, stopped to have a chat with Molly at Robo Robo. Was great to catch up, but I felt a little guilty because I've not dropped by for quite some time. After that, I joined Sheena at her booth. The last time I was at her booth was at STGCC 2014. That was also the last time she was a toy vendor at an event! Wow. Felt like eons ago!

Sheena's booth at STGCC 2014.

The BCSG atmosphere was different from STGCC's. Perhaps because all the attendees and vendors are there for Blythe, and Blythe only. And they fully appreciate the girls and the items that are on display.

CaramelPOPS girls, BCSG 2017

Brought Nyanko-sensei, who was happy to spend some time with her new Caramelaw siblings. She also got to meet her other Caramelaw siblings who live elsewhere.

Caramelaw with her duck by Josè Huet. BCSG 2017.

Caramelaw herself brought her latest adoptee, a pink duck with turquoise hair by Josè Huet Gonzalez (formerly Plushimi). Other owners of Josè's ducks also stopped by to say hello and take pictures.

Karoline Felix's Margo, the travelling Blythe here at BCSG 2017!

Also had the wonderful opportunity to get up-close with Margo, the travelling Blythe by Karolin Felix. Margo's Singapore host, Joyce (also an organising committee member), brought her to BCSG. My post-event regret would be that I didn't photograph her together with Nyanko-sensei! Silly me.

Briefly stopped by the room where the stock doll exhibition and dioramas were set up. Took a few photos with the dioramas (mostly room box dioramas). This is where I really regret not bringing a camera. But oh well. Such is life.

BCSG 2017
BCSG 2017
BCSG 2017
BCSG 2017 (on IG)
BCSG 2017

On the BCSG programme was the voting and prize-giving for the Best Dressed competition, which had City in a Garden as the theme.

Best Dressed Competition, BCSG 2017.
Best Dressed Competition, BCSG 2017.
Best Dressed Competition, BCSG 2017.
Best Dressed Competition, BCSG 2017.

Out of the 11 entries that made it to the finals, the Judges' Choice was Entry #7 by Marix (@lalanaural). Her doll (Varsity Dean) was dressed in a 4-piece ensemble inspired by the orchid, namely Singapore's national flower. The winning entry by popular vote was Entry #8 by Mandy of Ellie+Moe (@jeds123). Her PJ Dolls custom Middie was dressed in a Kuloft dress and perched in a treehouse.

The answers of the stock doll exhibition quiz were announced. And the prizes (Caramelaw felted pombands) went to people who got all the answers correct.

Stock Doll Exhibition Quiz, BCSG 2017
Stock Doll Exhibition Quiz, BCSG 2017
Stock Doll Exhibition Quiz, BCSG 2017

Can't remember all the answers to the questions.

QuestionAnswer
(1) I'm the oldest Blythe here.?
(2) I was inspired by a vocaloid.#13 Hatsune Miku
(3) I'm royalty.#6 Princess BisQuit de Q-Pot
(4) I'm the retro top shop exclusive here.#8 Miss Sally Rice
(5) I'm one of the CWC exclusives launched together with the 9th anniversary doll.?
(6) I'm a toy r us [sic] exclusive.#5 Stella Savannah
(7) I'm a purring good dancer.#17 Can Can Cat
(8) If you love mushrooms, you will love me too.?
(9) I love arts and I have an overall masculine dress sense.#18 Check It Out!

Finally, at 4pm was the live draw! I think this was a highly anticipated part of the programme, as there were some fantastic prizes up for grabs.

Various Live Draw prizes at BCSG 2017

Toysfield Kuma and various stock Blythe, as well as custom services by Lego Custom Service, Cocomicchi, Stablehouse, Wabi-Sabi Dolls, So-called Blythe, BUBA Blythe, SCoLaDolls, YuzuDolls and Bimba Bambolina. Also up for grabs were the BCSG 2017 travelling Blythe Miss Joaquim by Caramelaw, as well as custom dolls by Cupcake CurioLittle Dolls RoomLita ChanPJ Dolls and Jodie Dolls

Various Live Draw prizes at BCGS 2017 (on IG)

The live draw was conducted relay-style. That is, the first winner drew the number for the next prize, who would then drew the number for the next prize, and so on until the last prize. And so, no BCSG committee member was involved in the drawing of the numbers, except April who won the Cupcake Curio. I heard that the organising committee took great pains to conduct the live draw in a way that would be fair, and that would avoid potential accusations or complaints about that the draw was rigged in favour of certain people or groups.

Little Amelie, through her mom, won the travelling doll Miss Joaquim! She was totally beside herself with joy.

As for the most sought-after custom doll prize...the redheaded Cupcake Curio was won by April. She didn't realise she had called out her own number, and was about to announce a redraw when another committee member reminded her that it was her own. She checked her number, and went "Oh! That's me!" with wide-eyed with surprise. It was absolutely hilarious. Super happy for April!

Only got round to unpacking my haul on Sunday, the day after BCSG. When Hubs and I got home after BCSG, I didn't unpack anything. After dinner, we just fell asleep.

Our BCSG 2017 goody bag items (on IG)

The goody bag was a canvas bags printed on both sides with illustrations by Caramelaw and Pei. I only unpacked them properly the morning after BCSG.

Fabric in my BCSG 2017 goody bag

My BCSG 2017 goody bag item.
Among the goody bag items I got, I also got a packet of fabric and lace, as well as Sanrio re-ment items! Great! Besides dolls, my other passions are re-ment and fabric! (ᗒᗜᗕ)՛̵̖  

Among the smaller items, hand-painted eyechips made by the BCSG team and BCSG 2017 t-shirts and stickers. BCSG 2017 keychain and pull charm from Jannette Le of Project Dollhouse. Rabbit and duck toys from Ellie Moe. Boots from Kratai Craft. Hair clips from Angelique of La Petite Chouette. Etc. They're mostly tagged on my IG, though I probably missed some...

For the raffle prizes, we got Fluffy House iPhone 7+ covers and storage bags/travel organisers. Really cute stuff! I've already put the bags to use for our upcoming trip. But Hubby and I are in a bit of a bind with the iPhone covers because we don't use the iPhone 7+ and our circle either don't use iPhone 7+ or can't use these designs. A real pity because they're really cute! 

While on the topic of the raffle prizes, I hope the 9 dresses I made brought some cheer and joy to whoever got them.

As for my first Blythe convention haul.... All-up, I'm happy with the items I managed to get: 1 dress and 1 flower bomb headband (aptly named "Creamy Lush") from Trio; 2 Little Amelie embroidered Mexican dresses; 1 Mama Doo & PaaJeng (Anne Kamome) embroidered bohemian dress; 2 Rabbit Home Dolls dresses; 1 Bellika Boutique bishop smocked dress and beret hat set; 1 monster helmet and 1 cactus helmet from Poonchaya; 1 jacket and 1 lace dress from Momolita; 1 shark t-shirt and 2 shark helmets from Kyoko's Amusement Park; 1 Chu Things party dress from Maybe Doll; and last but not least, 1 PJ Dolls custom, Milky.

My BCGS 2017 haul (on IG)

The Chu Things aqua flocked party dress.... Sigh. As much as I love Chu Things, it is the sole item in my haul I have mixed feelings about. I actually refused to buy it at Maybe Doll's stand because of the outrageous markup. But Hubby snuck in the purchase when I was helping out at Sheena's stand, and to refuse it thereafter would hurt his feelings and deny his expression of love.

Milky was my biggest purchase for the day, and also my first PJ Dolls custom. As such, she deserves an entire post to herself. Which I will do at a later date, after I've taken more pictures of her, time and weather permitting. The weather here in Singapore has been fickle, sunny and rainy within the span of a day!

In fact, I think I'll take Milky on my upcoming trip!

Comments