Amigurumi Totoro (Shino Craft)

Completed this little bugger yesterday! One of my favourite anime characters...TOTORO, the globally loved character from Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbour Totoro (Tonari no Totoroとなりのトトロ).

This Totoro amigurumi marks the passing of my 2nd amigurumi milestone. I've actually passed the 1st one already, which was to make a charcoal grey version of Hainchan's Tira the Little Cat. But I had to put that little grey kitty on hold because the green cat eyes I ordered hadn't arrived yet. So I put her aside to crochet a few cute fruit coasters (posted here), and then this Totoro. (23/09/2020 update: Dusty is now completed and posted here.)

Totoro and chibi Totoro - amigurumi pattern by Shino Craft (more on IG)

The pattern for this Totoro by is Shino Crafts (pattern available on Etsy and Ravelry). Her pattern is really easy to follow. I found the joining of the 2 legs difficult, but her pattern included a video link that was really helpful with it. That part was, for me, probably the most difficult part of crocheting this little fella! I also struggled a little with his ears because they were so small!!!

For this Totoro amigurumi, I used Crown yarn in mid-grey and white. The yarn is 100% acrylic. Though I had used 100% acrylic yarn to crochet Paddlepop Tira (posted here), somehow the hand feel of the Crown yarn was a little different. It was another learning experience using this yarn, comparing the feel of it, and other things - like ease of use, etc. to the cotton yarns (both mercerised and unmercerised), which I used in the crochet fruit coasters (posted here). In fact, I still had lots of black Sirdar Happy Cotton yarn leftover, and used it to embroider Totoro's nose, mouth and whiskers.

Had to guesswork the size of the white felt and safety eyes because I used a 2.5mm crochet hook, resulting in a Totoro that was bigger than the Shino Craft pattern (which called for a 2mm hook). So I went with 14mm for the white felt, and 6mm eyes. (Pattern originally called for ~10mm white felt, and 5mm safety eyes.)

Stitching on the chevrons...with a little change from the pattern by Shino Craft (more on IG)

Am fairly happy with how this one turned out. However, I don't really like the feel and look of the yarn. I recently bought some Lion Brand Feels Like Butta yarn from a Spotlight sale, and was thinking of making a 2nd Totoro amigurumi with it. 

My husband's reaction to it was also very gratifying. Usually he gives 'em a passing glance, and makes a preoccupied grunt or a brief comment before turning back to whatever he's doing. But this time, he took one look at Totoro and his face lit up. He stopped what he was doing, and he asked me if he could have it. Highly gratifying indeed. But then again, Totoro is also a character he loves, and maybe relates to. (We make a lot of Totoro insider jokes in our close social circle.) I think I'll give Hubby the 2nd one made with Lion Brand Feels Like Butta, if it turns out well. My gut feeling also senses that the soft, slightly fuzziness of the yarn might actually create a softer look. Plus the yarn feels heavenly!!!


Tools & Materials Used:
  • Totoro by Shino Crafts (pattern available on Etsy and Ravelry)
  • Clover Amour Crochet Hook 2.5mm
  • Yarn (from Golden Dragon Store in People's Park Centre #02-51): 
    • Crown 4-ply yarn #18 Middle Grey 
    • Crown 4-ply yarn #51 Snow White
  • Embroider in Sirdar Happy Cotton DK #775 Liquorice (black) 
  • White felt, 14mm circle
  • 6mm safety eyes (from Snacksies Handicraft Corner, shop here and on Etsy)

Comments