Amigurumi Project Dusty (Tira the Little Cat by Hainchan)

This here is Dusty. Or rather, the amigurumi version of my friend's cat, Dusty. She's actually my 1st amigurumi project milestone/goal, but I was waiting for her green cat eyes to arrive, so I went ahead with completing my 2nd project milestone, the Totoro by Shino Craft (posted here). 

Amigurumi version of Dusty (on IG)

And the real deal is right here.... Dusty belongs to my good friend. She was also my inspiration for the Cats+Fish yukata sets I made earlier this year (posted here). 

Dusty. The real deal.

With Dusty's fine grey fur coat, sleek and refined features, and pretty emerald eyes, it's hard to believe she was a stray kitten that my friend found. We did wonder if perhaps one of her parents was a Russian Blue, as she so closely resembles one.

Pearl green cat eyes

For this project, the pattern I used was Hainchan's Tira the Little Cat (pattern here), which I learnt how to make in AppleLulu's crochet workshop (posted here).

It took a while to get the appropriate eyes for this amigurumi, as I wanted to get a colour that was as close to Dusty's eyes as possible. Jasmine-sensei (AppleLulu Crafts) had recommended a Singapore-based store, Tiny Rabbit Hole. It's a great amigurumi stop, and carry lots of crochet and amigurumi craft supplies. But the shop had sold out the safety eyes in lime green, so I looked for other sources.

In the end, I ordered a bunch of cat safety eyes from Craft Supprise, a Shanghai-based seller on Etsy. Shipping was cheaper than other sellers, and she happened to be having a sale. Also ordered a bunch of other safety eyes and some faux fur fabrics from her to make shipping worthwhile. When I received my order, I was super pleased to see that the colour was just right.ヽ(*>∇<)ノ

As mentioned before, while waiting for my order to arrive, I started on Shino Craft's Totoro (posted here). But I had actually finished making all of Dusty's parts at the end of August. Thus, when my order arrived, I was all ready to pop them in, stuff, and assemble!

There is a point in the assembling process that I like the look of very much. It's the part when the head is being attached to the body, and you have to stuff the amigurumi a bit more in the gap between the head and body. 

Stuffing and assembling... (on IG)

Somehow, it looks a bit like a ripped up voodoo doll. And I rather like the way it looks with its head half ripped off, and the stuffing kind of spilling out. Hubby thinks it's because I'm some weirdo whackjob. (After all, I did frequently take apart Blythe dolls to de-stress....) 

Unlike Tira, Dusty has a little tail...

I also made a little 9cm long tail to attach to her cute bum. The tail is not difficult to make: 6 sc in MR, and then 6 sc each round until it is around 8-9cm long. But it is a bit tricky to attach to the body. I got the idea from Hainchan's Little Tiger. The Little Tiger pattern is a paid pattern available on her website (here) and on Etsy (here). 

Also added a little bright pink collar with a gold bell, crocheted using Sirdar Happy Cotton DK #799 Bubblegum. The idea for the collar came from a hot pink collar that the real Dusty once had. The method for the collar was modified from Airali Design's Ugo the Amigurumi Cat, also a paid pattern I got recently (buy the pattern here). I left the ends long so I could tie the collar close. However, I'm not entirely satisfied with how it looks. Maybe I'll re-make the collar, and use a loop closure instead. The nice thing about making amigurumi is they're roughly the right scale for the items I use in Blythe clothing too! [25/09/2020 update: Re-made it! Added a few more chain stitches so that it goes all around her neck and changed the ends to a loop closure!]

Dusty.

This amigurumi is going to be a gift to Dusty's owner. Am pretty pleased with how she turned out.  ฅ(*ΦωΦ*) ฅ Though...oddly...she is larger than the calico Tira and Paddlepop Tira I previously made.... That said, I like the slate grey-and-green combination so much that I'm now contemplating making another one for keeps. (*✧×✧*) 

Dusty in my new sushi mug! (on IG)

Ever since I learnt to crochet, it's become such an addiction. Crochet is like my current obsession! I've collected several other patterns since (both free and paid), but have yet a chance to try my hand at all of them. At present, my crocheting speed is not that quick, though a vast improvement over my first month at it. ╰(▔∀▔)╯ I also need to work on consistency in yarn tension, shaping the doll as I stuff, among others.... But thus far, it's still a fun learning process. 

Until then... next project, next time folks!╭( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ ˂ᵒ͜͡ᵏᵎ⁾✩


Tools & Materials Used
  • Tira the Little Cat by Hainchan. Pattern available on Etsy.
  • Clover Amour Crochet Hook 2.5mm 
  • Yarn (from Golden Dragon Store in People's Park Centre #02-51): 
    • Cat: Crown 4-ply yarn #19 Charcoal Grey (100% acrylic) (Golden Dragon Store)
    • Collar: Sirdar Happy Cotton #799 Bubblegum 
  • DMC 25 Embroidery Thread (6-stranded), White 
  • Cat eyes: 12mm safety cat eyes. Bought from Etsy shop Craft Supprise.
  • The small gold bell is from Shinobeads at People's Park Centre #02-56A (Chinatown).

Comments