Crochet Blythe Pixie Bonnet "Candy Melody"

Hello 2022! I hope that 2022 will be a better year.... After another year of life during a pandemic, perhaps we can move forward to better things, like transitioning out of constant-crisis-mode.

The last items I made in 2021 were a few Blythe doll pixie bonnets as gifts to to dolly friends. I completed 2 bonnets in full, but 2021 ended before I completed the rest of them. So these 2 bonnets were gifted yesterday, when we spent New Year's Day hanging out together. The first one is a bright pink bonnet with bow ribbons and candies; I've called the bonnet Candy Melody because of the candies and because she loves colourful candies. The second one is a bright orange bonnet decorated with crocheted white flowers.

Yui Jamie modelling the pixie bonnet, my last crochet make of 2021.

Both of the bonnets are based on this free baby pixie bonnet crochet pattern by Shara Lambeth Designs. The yarn I used was Anette Eriksson Jeans Yarn that I found during a Spotlight festive season sale, and I worked using 2 strands for thickness.

The bonnet pattern required a 4.5mm hook but because a Neo Blythe's head is smaller, I used a smaller hook; I went with a 4mm crochet hook and also made some minor changes for fit. To adjust the fit, I loosely wrapped the starting foundation chain around her head to check before proceeding.

For the bows and candies in Candy Melody, I used the Scheepjes Catona and Schachenmayr Catania from my yarn stash, bought from one of my go-to crochet supply stores Tiny Rabbit Hole. The crochet bows were made using this free bow crochet pattern by Lilleliis. The candies are from this pastel mini sweets set crochet pattern by Pinky Pinky Blue, a purchased pattern on Etsy.

Blythe crochet pixie bonnet, Candy Melody

It was super fun making the Candy Melody bonnet for my friend because I know how much she loves bright candy colours, and it would fit perfectly into her Blythe collection and home studio. I added small brooch pins to the back of each bow and candy, so that all of them could be removed and re-arranged on the bonnet according to preference or need. It was a major pleasure and joy to see my friend's eyes light up when I told her that, and she spent the next hour playing with them, re-arranging them. She then put it on her custom candy calavera Amaryllis (on her IG), whom it suited way better than my Yui Jamie!

Amaryllis (Caramelaw custom) in the Candy Melody bonnet, with the bows and candies re-arranged.

Materials & Tools:

(This post was updated on June 2023.)

Comments