An English Summer with Danbo #2/4 - Windsor

(This post is Part 2 of 4, An English Summer with Danbo, June~July 2014.)

Windsor Castle at the end of the Long Walk, Windsor

Hubby and I woke up early to catch the train westwards to Windsor where an aunt of mine lives. (I don't mean the Queen, duh.) Following our arrival, my cousin took Hubby and I on a walking tour around Windsor town.

As much as I would like to say Windsor Castle is my aunt's home, it isn't. Windsor Castle is one of the official residences of Queen Elizabeth II, and has been home to the British sovereign for over 9 centuries, making it the oldest castle that has remained in continuous occupation.

The Long Walk, Windsor Great Park

Naturally, as my cousins grew up in Windsor, they know of some of the scandalous gossip surrounding the British royal family - most especially Prince Charles. So apparently one of the stories was that just before the wedding of Prince Charles and Diana, the groom had a tryst with Camilla along the Long Walk. Smith's Lawn at the Long Walk was also another place where Prince Charles and Camilla had regularly met when they were a dating couple, in their younger days.

Changing of the guard at Windsor Castle, Windsor

Naturally, a visit to Windsor is not complete without observing the changing of the guard. I would have liked to take a tour of Windsor Castle's interior, but that had to be saved for another day.

One of the many pubs, Windsor.
The River Thames at Windsor
Swans at the River Thames, Windsor

It was a fine summer day to be in Windsor: sunny, clear blue skies with scuttering white clouds. We had a lovely walk through the town and along the River Thames.

A historic Tudor period building at Windsor.
An example of the stocks outside a Tudor period building at Windsor

My cousin pointed out to me various interesting spots in Windsor, including the Market Cross House (better known as the Crooked House of Windsor). Another building I was fascinated with was a historical Tudor period (1485-1603) building. I couldn't help but notice how low the doorway was. I'm not sure if it's because people in that era were quite small, or is it just a feature of the architecture of the time.

A 13th century building at Queen Anne's Court, Windsor

Another historic building that fascinated me was the building housing the Oxfam Shop on Queen Anne's Court. My cousin explained that it is an example of a 13th century building.

An English Summer with Danbo (June~July 2014)

I. London
Food Diaries #1: Dinner by Heston
Food Diaries #2: Jamie Oliver's Fifteen
Food Diaries #3: Zucca, London
Food Diaries #4: Pearl Liang, London
II. Windsor
III. Oxford
Food Diaries #5: Browns Brasserie & Bar
Food Diaries #6: Quod Restaurant & Bar
Food Diaries #7: Al Andalus
IV. Cambridge
Food Diaries #8: Midsummer House

Comments