Cupcake Curio Custom — Cleo

(This post was edited on 12 July 2017 at 8:00pm.)

My Cupcake Curio customs: Brier (2013) and Cleo (2017)

A few days ago, around 8 Feb, a package arrived in the arms of my darling Hubby. So it was a neat little box from the US, and inside it was a gift to me - adorable little Cleo created by Casey of Cupcake Curio!

Cleo peeking out of her wrappings.

So, I was super excited to de-box her, but I actually made myself wait until a weekend so I could take my time with the de-boxing, and to take pictures and a timelapse video (posted on Instagram)! So, ended up de-boxing her on a Sunday afternoon (12 Feb).


Little Cleo was all nicely tucked in and held in place by satin ribbons at her neck and knees. Her lovely pull-charms were in a draw-string bag.

Cupcake Curio customs Brier (2013) and Cleo (2017)
Cleo is a Love Mission (EBL), recently customised by Casey, on a Licca body. Casey has dressed Cleo in a beautiful handmade outfit (which I adore!) - a little tweed cape with a black velvet collar, a pretty dress with a black velvet bodice, green petticoat, pink striped bloomers, green knitted hat, and striped stockings.

With Cleo, I am now a proud mommy of 2 Cupcake Curio customs.

I feel really honoured to be able to have them both - not only because Cupcake Curio customs are so well-made and pretty, but also because I am able to see the difference in her art style over the 5-year period.

My first Cupcake Curio custom is Brier (christened Shion), a Petit Dejeuner Champs Elysees (RBL) that Casey customised in 2013.

Back then, she came with a Licca body, dressed in a beautiful handmade floral green dress, green petticoat and green stockings with lace.

Since her adoption, I still have the original outfit that she arrived in. Her pull-charms also remain the same, save for the little glass bottle of glitter (which I removed). I have since changed her original strings, as one of them frayed.

Brier was christened with another name, Shion, in-keeping with Yotsuba clan tradition) and there was a time when I swapped her original scalp for a cropped Punkaholic People scalp, which I have since changed back to her original scalp. I've also taken her travelling with me!

Cupcake Curio customs: Brier (2013) and Cleo (2017)

The evolution of Casey's art is very exciting for me. Cleo's original tone is not as fair as Shion Brier, but she is more blushed and has a cute scattering of freckles across her nose bridge. Her lips have been carved more prominently, and she looks a little pouty. And she has bold, black eyebrows. (Shion Brier has no eyebrows.) On the back faceplate, Casey has painted on a little cupcake and the year of Cleo's birth.

There is a slight gap at the hairline, where the rubber scalp meets the back faceplate, but Casey had mentioned that on the eBay listing. In any case, it's not a major issue since it is covered by Cleo's hair.

Cleo's part-line

Cleo's parting is a little messy, but I don't see it as an issue either. She can't be expected to be perfect. And frankly I love her too much to bother splitting hairs.

Lolidoli, Cocochoo, Cupcake Curio Shion Brier and Cleo. (Also on ig.)

So later that Sunday, Hubby and I met up with our friend Sheena of Caramelaw who introduced me to her 2 latest adoptees, a sweet pastel Lolidoli calavera custom (Lolidoli's first calavera) and a mischievous Cocochoo custom commission.

Cleo visits Candy Land. (Also on ig.)
Cleo makes friends with some colourful people.

And...we all paid a visit to Candy Land! It's been more than a year since we visited and so we were quite stunned by the sheer volume of toys that have since made their homes in Candy Land. What fun! o(*≧≦)o

Update on 12 July 2017: So, since adopting Cleo, she went without an adoptee name for a few months. Not because I didn't turn my mind to it (though there were many things on my mind) but because I couldn't think of one that suited her. However, during a recent trip to Japan with Hubby and our BFF, in which Cleo came with me, I got chatting with someone on-board our flight (see Part 1). As a result, I found a name I think suits her - Makoto (真琴). Her namesake is Kowata Makoto (木幡 真琴), the main character in Flying Witch, a 2016 anime series. It was perhaps also fateful that Flying Witch was based in Hirosaki, Aomori, which we visited during our trip (posted here).

Comments