Japan with Cleo #3/10 - Akihabara & Nakano, Otaku Mecca

(This post is Part 3 of 10 on Japan with Cleo, 28 April - 14 May 2017. Edited on 26 August 2017.)

Akihabara - Geek Town!

No BFF Japan trip for DT, Hubby and myself would be complete without a trip to Akihabara (秋葉原), the mecca for lovers of manga-anime-game-toys, and all manner of nerdy goodies!

Niboshi shio ramen at Shinasoba Tanaka the Second, Akihabara

So, before we hit the streets of Akiba proper, we had to fuel up. Original plan was to eat at Kagemusha (影武者) at Sotokanda, but the queue was super long (approx. 1.5-2 hour wait, we figured). Not quite time we could spare, given the (g)rumblings of our bellies and our desire to hit the shops streets of Akiba real fast. We looked up our G-drive map and decided to try Shinasoba Tanaka Second (志奈そば 田なかSecond), a short walk from Kagemusha.

AKIHABARA



Formania X v. Gundam, Akiba Showroom
Okay, so Akihabara really puts our home's electric town to shame. But to be perfectly honest, we don't usually spend our time at Akiba hitting the electronics and gadget stores. The only one we do spend a lot of time in is Yodobashi, mainly because DT, Hubby and myself like to check out the camera and the watch sections.

And although Akihabara is Otaku Town, we're not that concerned with sitting down at a maid or butler cafe. Not judging here, I'm quite happy for other people who love that. But on a personal level, I'm not diehard enough to get into the entire concept of some stranger cosplaying as my favourite character. I like them better on-screen.

As always, we popped by the Akiba Showroom to check out the latest Tamashii Nations goodies. As always, on display are the new Gundam models.

Tamashii Nations Daruma Club, Vol. 1

The Daruma Club toys are really cute! The Daruma Club is a new Tamashii Nations series that combines Japanese themes and characters with the traditional Japanese daruma doll (達磨). Volume 1 features the 1960s Japanese sci-fi TV character Ultraman, Mt Fuji/sakura, Fujiya mascot Peko-chan, some Japanese chrysanthemum themed one (in black), the classic red coloured daruma, and a sunny yellow Creamy Mami (from the manga/anime Mahō no Tenshi Kurīmī Mami).

Never thought I'd see Ultraman revived in such a manner. ROFL~!

Radio Kaikan, Akihabara

Next stop Radio Kaikan (ラジオ会館). One of my favourites that we always visit on an Akiba trip. I never did mention that it was the site of the satellite crash in Steins;Gate! (Another one here.) The recently renovated Radio Kaikan building no longer features the replica satellite crash however. 残念...

I love the doll displays at Azone International, Radio Kaikan.

I always go by Azone International at Radio Kaikan. Not just to shop for dolly stuff, but also to look at the doll displays. Totally love their displays, and they always make me want to make a diorama (or two) for my girls. So I keep telling myself, "one day".... So I keep telling myself... (=__=)

Over the few recent trips to Akiba, I've not gone completely overboard since the 2014 trip with Caramelaw (posted here). But with each modest batch of acquisitions each visit, they do add up. Like the miniatures and clothes acquired in summer 2015 (posted here), and then last autumn when I acquired another modest bunch of stuff - a Totoro Matroyshka set, a Re-Ment mini, a couple of Neemo bodies, and 2 Blythe sewing pattern books for myself; a whole bunch of mini mokeke plushies for Caramelaw (posted here).... This trip was another round of modest acquisitions - just some new 24cm Obitsu Body ver.2, and some Neemo bodies....


Of course I checked out the Blythe dolls at Mandarake Akihabara (まんだらけ 秋葉原).

Guess what? There was a mint Margo Unique Girl for 270,000¥ (USD2,422.85) (exchange rate as at 30 April 2017). Cheaper than the MUG I saw last autumn at Mandarake Nakano, but...still... Baby, I feel the pain. I look at Cleo and I wonder...

The Rose & Crown, Akihabara

We breaked at The Rose & Crown Akihabara for a snack and to put our feet up. DT has a walking limit of 12,000 steps per day; I think I do too. Well, nothing that sitting down to fatty bacon, beer-battered fries, and yummy desserts can't cure!

NAKANO

Shotengai at Nakano

After Akihabara, we went to Nakano (中野). As far as shotengai go (see Part 1), the shotengai connecting Nakano Station to Nakano Broadway is a typical residential Tokyo shotengai, but I love walking down it despite the crowds - there're a lot of food stores and other stores selling all and sundry. Want socks? Shampoo or soap? A bucket or cleaning supplie? Sure, it's all there. You could stock your first aid kit, bathroom, maybe even part of your kitchen from the stores at the shotengai.

Manga, Mandarake Nakano

For us, we were there mainly for Nakano Broadway (中野ブロードウェイ)., the other epicentre for manga, anime, game, toys and collectibles. Akihabara may be more well-known, but sometimes I think Nakano Broadway is a better spot for dolls, manga, anime and vintage collectibles.

So, there's a whole bunch of spots under the Mandarake Nakano (まんだらけ 中野) umbrella. (Floor guide here.) But there are also small, independent shops selling same or similar. It was at 2 of these small independent shops that we found a number of teleka and 1/6th scale musical instruments during our 2015 summer trip (posted here).

We pored over the animation collectibles at Anime-kan on 4F, where we acquired a Nausicaa cel in 2014 and Cardcaptor Sakura cel in 2015. Nothing really grabbed my gut this trip. But I always love looking at the cels. It's like a little game; I like to see if I recognise any of the scenes and to pinpoint the sequence it comes from. Not so far as to remember which episode, or the exact timestamp. I don't think I am diehard enough to bother, but I certainly am not going to judge anyone who can.


This trip, there were some new stock (i.e. Blythe dolls) at 4F, although I think the selection last autumn had more of the rarer/exclusive dolls (posted here). Saw a mint-in-box "Ten Happy Memories" 10th Anniversary Blythe doll, and she was cheaper than the Margo Unique Girl I saw at Mandarake Akihabara. No surprise I guess. MUG is translucent. And there are only 1,000 MUGs worldwide and 2,011 THMs....

To me, when it comes to dolls overall, I think the doll scene at Mandarake Nakano is far better than at Mandarake Akihabara. Not just the Blythe dolls and Blythe-related accessories on 4F. But also other dolls - BJDs, other kinds of doll collectibles, including vintage ones.


I also think the vintage toys and collectibles scene at Nakano Broadway is at a different league from Akihabara's. In short, I think Akiba can't compare, when it comes to vintage collectibles; Akiba's focus seems to be on the newer/latest trends. That said, it's not like trends don't pass through Nakano.... There was a time when Kobito Dukans were everywhere at Nakano Broadway (back in 2014), but since then, they are nowhere to be seen!


There is a wall-to-wall display on 2F (I think) that Caramelaw loves...because it's packed with Sato-chan and Peko-chan collectibles, both vintage and new. They aren't cheap, but they are in extremely good condition. I vaguely recall getting a vintage Sato-chan with Caramelaw from here back in 2014...but my memory eludes me somewhat.

Besides anime, manga, toys and collectibles, Nakano Broadway is also a great place for watches - new, secondhand, and vintage. Naturally, the boy's GS watch-hunt did not just end in Ginza (see Part 2).

Panerai watches at Jack Road, Nakano Broadway

We checked out Jack Road and Betty Road, the 2 main stores we heard/read about from other watch hunters. Jack Road carries men's watches, and Betty Road carries women's.

Didn't see that many Grand Seikos or Credors... But saw a lot of Panerai watches, and thought immediately of a couple of people I know who love Panerai.

A lot of vintage Patek Philippes, Breguets and Breitlings too. Very lovely to look at... clean lines, simple designs... so totally my style, hahaha. Well, hey, even if I can't/don't buy, I can look, right?

Snack & rest time at Starbucks Nakano


Japan with Cleo (28 April - 14 May 2017)
- I. Tokyo - Asakusa • Seiko MuseumGinzaAkihabara & NakanoTsukiji MarketEnoshimaShinkawa, Tsukuda & TsukishimaSushi NakamuraLa PaixNishiazabu TakuShowa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu3-gatsu no Lion 
- II. Aomori & Hirosaki - Auga Market • Aomori Gyosai Centre • Hirosaki Castle Park • Hirosaki Sakura Matsuri 2017 • Flying Witch
- III. Hakodate - Hakodate Asaichi • Goryokaku Park
- IV. Fuji Five Lakes - Lake MotosuSubaru 5th Station & ShibazakuraChureito & Kawaguchiko
- V. Osaka - Kuromon Market • Dotonbori • Harukas 300 • Food Basement Galore!
- VI. Kobe - nackymade • Steak Land Kobe

*******

Comments